Friday, May 18, 2012

Non-Perfection

     Everyone always assumes that the trainer's dogs are perfect.  Such a dangerous thought!  My dogs have simply been exposed to a lot of structure consistantly enough to adapt to MY needs.  That means ME personally.  It does not mean that anyone at any time can do anything to them, especially outlandish or harmful things.  Before I developed a spine, I would have people I was not acquainted with walk up to me and my dogs and begin talking inches from their faces in weird gibberish voices, rough-housing, or poking them.  Their excuse?  "Oh, well if you're a dog trainer your dogs like this, right?"  I am still a person who has the same expectation of privacy and personal space and I insist on the same rights for my canine companions.

     My dogs have achieved great things.  They do not pee or poop in the house.  They allow me to constantly touch and play with their nose and toes (my two favorite doggy parts!).  They never complain when I sing (quite badly) to them.  Brutus Paul got his Canine Good Citizen award years ago, was a Delta certified Therapy Dog, earned Rally Novice and Rally Advanced titles.  Grace qualified for her Canine Good Citizen award and Delta Therapy Dog certification, but the paperwork was never submitted (she was simply tested to gauge her training progress).  She went through intense conditioning with another trainer before I adopted her to prepare for Service Animal work, so had been socialized and desensitized to a multitude of environments. 

     When Brutus and Grace accompany me anywhere, there are not permitted to pull on the leash, use the restroom on inappropriate places, bark, or jump up on people.  Brutus has some cute tricks he likes to show off- "Bang!" (Play Dead), "Wave Hello", and "Get Low" (lie flat with your head down).  In public, Grace will lie so quietly for so long where I place her, that many people do not even realize she is present unless they see us enter or exit. 

     At home, my fur babies are my companions while my Matthew is at work.  Whether cuddling on the couch, playing fetch, taking a walk, or any other activity we choose Brutus and Grace are willing to accommodate my ever-changing whims. 


     If you choose to visit me at my house, Brutus will bark to let me know you have arrived, and Grace will whine.  When Matthew arrives home from work the dogs like to dance around him in circles and whine slightly, which annoys him to no end (I personally, think it's adorable!).  You may notice I never allow Brutus off-leash unless he is in a fenced in, safe place.  This is because his recall is still not completely trustworthy- when we are harnessed up properly he will track an animal for several miles, and I do not enjoy taking hours-long hikes unexpectedly.  Grace can handle petting with guidance, but if a stranger was to walk up to her and just start rubbing all over her, she would likely try to nibble and jostle them. 

     My personal training style relies mostly on accurate handling, which allows canines to learn multiple skills more quickly (as opposed to styles that rely heavily on muscle memory, for example.) My pups are not machines.  Behavioral Conditioning to the extent my dogs have been exposed to through me makes them more adept problem solvers.  Brutus's sweet sense of mischief and Grace's stealthy sense of humor means I am very selective about who I will let even hold their leashes, or deliver commands.   If I was to give my pups to someone who would not follow through and be sure their behavior was consistent, they would quickly adapt to suit their own purposes. 

     Dogs become "Good Dogs" with structure and guidance.  They are not magically "Perfect" just because they happen to be standing with a trainer.  I love to have a conversations with anyone I meet, whether it is about dogs or even just the weather!  It is exponentially more enjoyable when I am treated like a normal human being, and my dogs are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment