Monday, May 14, 2012

"No Dogs on the Bed!"



     When I first started dating my Fiance, I could not figure out why he always wanted to spend time at his house, not mine. After a few months, I finally just asked him (funny how this works!) and he answered me "I do not let my dog on the bed".

     At the time, I only had one dog, Brutus Paul and he slept with me every night. I love him and could not imagine sleeping without his fuzzy warmth beside me. When I was reading, watching TV, crocheting or talking on the phone, he was right there beside me. My knee-jerk reaction was thinking "I should probably end it now with this Dog-Hater! Obviously Matthew and I were not meant to be!"

     Thank goodness I didn't do that.
(Yes folks, I am READING, not napping...)

     I came to realize that not allowing his dog Zander in the bed did not mean he loved him any less than I loved Brutus. Zander was much larger- at that time, he was about 145lbs, Brutus was only about 62lbs. A full-sized bed with a full-sized man would be overcrowded if also accommodating a full-sized Rottweiler! Zander went everywhere Matthew could bring him (and some places he couldn't), was well-fed, clean and up to date on his shots. I watched them interact and saw a healthy relationship built on a firm trusting foundation (Zander was also a rescue with a tough past, but that story is for another post).


     Matthew and I will be getting married in September. I have moved in with him, and together we adopted another dog (Grace) approximately 8 months after Zander passed away. There is still a standing rule that no dogs are allowed in Matthew's bed.

     We are fortunate enough to have two spare bedrooms in our house. In one of them, we have another full-sized bed for the pups. It is also my reading room, so I can still surround myself with warmth and softness while I read in comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Luca is totally allowed on the bed, but at less than 25 lbs, she can fit in just about any spare little wedge of space. We'll never kick our puppy out of bed!

    ReplyDelete