Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Best Listeners


     In my head, things usually seem pretty simple.  Everything makes sense, and follows a (mostly) linear path.  Out loud sometimes it may not make as much sense to others. I discovered years ago ("I like those pants" leads to "Purple dragons are my favorite" in my little mind) that some of my statement sequences can seem to defy logic.

     As you can imagine, my communication attempts can result in pretty disjointed but entertaining conversations, and sometimes outright confusion unless I concentrate on putting my thoughts in chronological order (I have found this technique to be the most effective).  My family and friends have either embraced or learned to tolerate my penchant for seemingly random subject changes. 

     My most devout listeners, who will never critique me are Grace and Brutus. 

     No matter what I am talking about, they are keenly attentive.  Even when I skip words in my sentences, they never complain.  With their patience and love, I know I am never being judged.  I know I am heard, regardless of what I am actually saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment