Thursday, August 2, 2012

"The Man with The Berner" Part I


Photo included courtesy of owner and photographer



     I can recall the first time I saw "The Man With the Berner", it was at one of the first dog shows I attended, in Concord, North Carolina.  I did not know him.  I was instantly, completely captivated with his majestic dogs.  His companions strode proudly by his side, never a misstep, never a moment's hesitation to obey any command!  I loved the easy way "The Man" spoke to his dogs, and the adoration in the gaze of full attention that they gave back to him.  They were the perfect team, a well-oiled machine, and they earned the titles to prove it!  I never did muster the courage to speak to "The Man With the Berner" that weekend.  I simply watched from afar as he performed with his dogs.


     This past weekend (July 27, 28) I accompanied my good friend (the other half of PawsThenPlay, Thomas Brown) to a show in Greenville, South Carolina.  I quickly lost myself in the symphonic chaos of the show and just meandered as I usually do, soaking it all in at my own pace.  Booths, now familiar, lined the sides of the conformation areas and invited me to stop and shop.  I did buy more chocolate from Debbie's Delights of course, so I could get a sugar-high while I oogled dogs.

     "The Man with The Berner" was there!  The first day, I watched from a distance as usual.  The second day, I found myself beside him in the crowd!  As I applauded madly for Thomas and Ebony (they took second in Open!), I decided this was a sign.  I must talk to "The Man".

     I glanced at him, and he nodded politely and smiled.  I took that as an invitation to just plunge in!  In a gush of words, I blurted out how in awe of his performance with his dogs I was, and how much I really enjoyed watching his performance with his animals.

     He kindly laughed, and shook his head.  "But this weekend we were horrible!" 

     I was completely aghast!  I had been so impressed with the easy communication and obvious happiness in the dogs, that I forgot we were at an event with scoring.  In the long conversation that followed, I learned so much my head reeled, and my heart hurt.  I cannot include all of it here, but I do want to share some of this man's experiences since I found him so inspiring.



*End of Part I



No comments:

Post a Comment