Friday, August 24, 2012

A Dog Training Game



A healthy treat and random object for the game.
    In a previous post, I mentioned making training into a game (One Step Forward, Two Steps Back published July 9, 2012. Click here to read it.).

     One of my students and two of you wonderful readers have taken the time to inquire about some examples of games to play to train your dogs.  Here is a versatile exercise that can be tailored to any dog that is food motivated.

     Regardless of your dog's training background, you can have a training session in this style.  You will need a yummy, high-value treat, and a dog-safe object.  I choose objects that are non-toxic, with no sharp edges, that are durable, not too big or too small, cheap/readily available to me, but not something my dog is familiar with.  For the exercise today I chose a metal ring that is a lid to a mason jar, and freeze-dried liver treats.

     Toby is a 10 year old Cocker Spaniel that was a conformation show Champion in his youth!  Although he was socialized very well, is an angel for grooming and still auto-stacks (goes into his "Show Pose"); not a lot of time was spent on his basic obedience.  After he was retired from the show circuit, he was taught to sit, and lie down several years ago.

No initial interest. I had to wait a few seconds.
     The first step is to introduce the object, and make it inviting for your dog to investigate it.  At this point, very few  words are used.  I placed food inside the ring, which led Toby to sniff it.  Every time he sniffed at it, I said "Yes!" and fed him.  I was teaching him "Yes!" equals food, and the action of sniffing the ring made me say "Yes!".   I would let him sniff, say "Yes!" and feed 3-5 times in a row, and then take the ring back and put it on the table while I broke up some more treats into tiny pieces.  Then I placed the ring back on the ground and repeated the exercise until as soon as I put the ring down, he was immediately sniffing it.

     Once Toby was very interested in the ring, I placed it on the ground, and let him sniff it, but remained silent.  At first he just stared at me expecting the "Yes" and food.  I kept staring at the ring.  He appeared to lose interest, so I put the ring away for a few minutes, and we took a potty break.

     When we came back inside, I placed the ring on the ground.  Toby went forward immediately!  He sniffed, and looked at me, then kicked it with his foot!  I said "Yes!" and rewarded with 2 pieces of food!  The significance is not what he did, it is the fact that he is adapting, and trying to problem-solve!  Some dogs use their paws to manipulate the object, some their mouths. (Grace is a mouther- she prefers to carry it)

Toby is definitely interested now!
     I let Toby cycle through several rounds of touching the ring with his foot, and being rewarded.  He soon evolved to rushing forward with both feet ending up on the ring.  Now I just needed to decide which motion I like the best, and feed only for that one.  To start with, since he seemed to always move the ring towards him by pouncing on it with both feet, I decided to only reward for a softer motion, putting both paws on the ring, but not pouncing.

     It took a few sessions to accomplish this because at first he just ignored the ring if he did not get rewarded immediately for pouncing.  It ended up as a slower motion for each paw, almost like swimming, and then just some soft "pats" with his paws.  It was inconsistent, but settled into a right-left-right pattern.  The more confident he became that the answer was correct, the more times he would "pat".

Toby with his foot in the ring!
     It is perfectly normal and okay for a dog to need to take a break!  This is set up like a logic puzzle, but with less structure.  There is always more than one correct answer, so the odds are in the favor of your dog.  I love playing these types of "Games" with dogs because it gives such insight to their behavior.  Poor Toby can give up easily sometimes (his sessions are only about 2-4 minutes at a time), but rebounds very quickly! He is very eager to please, and if he gets a short rest is very willing to pick up just where he left off!  We have already done 5 sessions this morning.

     Now Toby can consistently touch the ring with gentle pats.  I thought it looked very cute, like he was doing little dance steps!  I decided to name it "Fancy Feet".  To label the action, I wait for him to perform it and said the words "Fancy Feet!" and fed.  We did this several times, it was adorable! After a few sessions of labeling, I took out the ring, and told him "Fancy Feet"! Results so far are below!  I think I may tie this in with a foot motion from the handler, so it looks like we are dancing together!  Wish us luck!



     Happy Training my friends! And as always, please feel free to contact me and/or leave a comment!  I love hearing your feedback!

   



Additional Tips and Facts:
- Be patient! Do not talk to your dog too much during this or you will confuse them (and make little, or no progress).
- Dogs will retain the information at different rates, and according to the skill and timing you as a handler possess.
- Instead of the word "Yes!" another word or a clicker can be substituted.
- If your dog is staring at your hand and ignoring the object, try rubbing the object with the food (to make it smell more appealing), and then throwing the bits of treat down to the object when your dog sniffs it, instead of hand feeding.
- If you are not sure what objects would be good, it's ok to start with one of your dog's toys.
- Any motion that your dog gives can be eventually labeled, and then performed on command.
- The more often you play "guessing games" like this, the more creative your dog's responses will become!
- Some dogs do not prefer the taste or texture of metal, or wood, or paper products, or plastics.  You will have to experiment a bit to see what material to start with for your dog.
- If you prefer to shape for a tap with the foot, the object you choose shouldn't matter, but if you would like your dog to carry the item, you will want to start with an object they are comfortable with.

     To read about Grace's experience with this game, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment