Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pet Store Visit

Me, Theo and Grace 


     I had run out of doggie shampoo, and so decided to visit a large chain pet company (not the clever one).  When I go out, whenever possible, my pups accompany me so I brought Grace, and another German Shepherd Dog that was staying with us that day.  Any visit is a great opportunity to practice skills learned in another location (also called "proofing").

     So we collared up (no naked doggies traveling) and headed out!  Boy, nothing makes people point and stare quite like a tiny girl with two large dogs.  No big deal I guess.  We went to the shampoo aisle, and since it was a bit crowded, I had both dogs sit and wait while I went a few paces away to pick some out.


     As I retrieved my dogs and tried to make my way to the front of the store, an associate walked our way rapidly.  She had her hand out in front of her, fingers facing down, palm away from us, I presume to let the dogs sniff it.  She was cooing and making kissy noises at my perfectly heeling duo.  Before the dogs could decide what to do with this strange person (their answer would be: rush forward to make out with her and yank my arm out of the socket), I redirected them and placed them in heel position this time with ME between the dogs and the crazy lady.  

     The store associate tried to simper sideways around me (a great opportunity to practice a left pivot in brace) twice before standing up to look at me.  When she finally met my eyes (and was giving me a dirty look), I said loudly "Hey!" and smiled, and took my dogs and marched right past her to the registers.  Both dogs are very friendly indeed, but the employee never asked, so I chose to pretend I had no idea she wanted to pet them.  I was so proud of the pups for responding so quickly and gracefully with such a persistent distraction!

Theo and Grace relaxing in the yard post shopping adventures
     In line, there was a delightful customer who gave us a bit of space in line, and smiled to me saying "They are beautiful!  It is so nice how they just sit there.  German Shepherds, right?"  I confirmed that yes, they were and she asked if they had Czeck bloodlines.  We had a lovely but brief conversation while waiting for the line to move.

      I had time while paying to practice their down-stays as well.  A very productive visit!  I simply wish there were more people like the nice lady in line, instead of the pet store employee.


No comments:

Post a Comment