Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Random Raw Rant


Grace, in all her 70lb splendor
     Today I went to see my Veterinarian.  Grace needed to have blood drawn for her annual heartworm and blood parasites test, phenobarbital blood level check and T4 measurement.  She weighs in at a petite 70.6 pounds, and is oh so patient with the assistant who coos and musses her face and ears.  

     I allow the large woman to bend over, fuss, pet and talk "baby-talk" to my sweet Shepherd because last time I asked her to stop, she was so offended, it almost effected Grace's visit by making the dog uncomfortable.  The woman seems oblivious to my body language too.  Thank goodness Grace has a very consistent work schedule to keep her tolerant of such overly invasive interactions!

     Grace quickly winds up until she is dancing frantically back and forth across the employee's feet.  As I put a hand on Grace's nose and tell her to "Settle" so the Vet can draw blood, I informed the helper quietly "She is much easier to handle if you don't amp her up in your initial greeting.  All that excited petting raises her energy level."   I still got a dirty look, but I made my point as politely as I could.

     As we pay our tab and prepare to leave, I comment on our recent dietary changes.  "Almost three months on kibble now, instead of their raw food... their coats are doing poorly, Grace's skin remains constantly irritated, and she has had her first seizure since coming to live with me."  The last time, I had conversed with my Vet, and he gave me the scripted answer "Raw food carries bacteria, it is dangerous" et cetera et cetera.  I eat meat myself, and certainly know how to be careful when preparing it.  That part I completely disregard.  What I do consider a valid point however, is that it is possible that with a raw diet they could be missing some needed nutrients.  

     At this point, I am not satisfied with the results.  I am going to continue with the kibble however, for approximately 6 more months in order to give it a fair trial.  Since I am exploring other brand options, the dogs will need time to adjust to their new diet.  I adore my veterinarian, and take his opinions seriously enough that I am willing to try another route on his advice.  Ultimately, the decision will be based on the health and performance of the pups though, not what anyone says.  

     What really made my blood boil, and prompted this peckish entry, was the comment the assistant made next.  "Well I won't feed my dogs the canned food at all."  At this point I was vaguely annoyed- I agree heartily, but what does canned food have to do with raw diet?  

     "I completely agree.  Canned food is garbage."  I stated.

     Then it dawned on me.  She believed this whole time that when I was speaking of my dogs' raw diet, that I was giving them canned food.  I saw the good Doctor turn to leave the room.  I smiled tightly and left also.

     People, please be careful who you ask advice of.  Just because someone works in a Veterinary Hospital, does not mean they are well informed, or pay a lot of attention to what is going on around them.


*     Massive amounts of information are available, both for and against raw food diets. Advertisements largely target things that appeal to a human consumer, not the dog's actual dietary needs.  (for a recent article on AVMA new policy concerning raw diet, click here)  Since I have been feeding my dogs raw food for quite a long time, I thought it only fair to give kibble a real trial.  I am willing to learn new things if they will help my pups!  After sifting through large quantities of information, I decided to switch Brutus and Grace to a high protein Canadian brand who use homeopathic veterinarians for their formulas. (for more information on this particular brand click here.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment