Friday, July 13, 2012

Re-Homing a Dog


An owner surrender at the Gaston County Animal Control 
     Since I began my career working with dogs, on average once a month I have the same request.  Someone knows someone who needs to find a home for their dog, can I help?  Usually it is because the person is moving, and "cannot take the dog with" them.  At times there has been a job loss, divorce, death, addition to or illness in the family.  Many are very worthy causes for stress.  But "Owner-surrendered" dogs typically have a pretty hard time, even if they find a new home relatively quickly.


     When I was left living alone in a three-bedroom townhouse that I could scarcely afford, I also worried about my pets.  At that time I had my Brutus, a hound mix, two corn snakes, two cats, and two leopard geckos.  The costs of food, vet bills and supplies to maintain these animals was a stretch some months, but manageable with two roommates.  As I struggled to find less costly living space, I found many people who were not open to my animals living at their property.  Those that were, had very high deposits to be paid for each animal.  So I kept looking.  I understand how difficult it can be when life throws a curve ball.  


     What I also knew, from working with animals, is that it is very difficult to find new homes quickly for displaced animals. There seems to be a general assumption that if the dog is purebred or young it should be very easy to just magically find someone who is willing to take them into their home.  At the shelter I visited last week, there were many pure-bred dogs (by appearance), as well as puppies.  Of those dogs I visited with, the majority were scheduled to be euthanized, due to lack of available space in the facility.  


Another owner surrender at Gaston County A.C.


     In the area of North Carolina that I live in, there are many rescue groups that are very active and effective.  I have seen firsthand how hard working and determined they are!  I have watched them save lives, nurse puppies and dogs back to health, and find loving homes for dozens of dogs.  But as diligently as they strive, there are just too many dogs that need homes.  Even with the hundreds of volunteers (rescue workers often do NOT get paid for their efforts!) donating many hours per day, weeks, months and years on end, there is still not enough time, space, people, or money.


     Dogs that have been abandoned or surrendered always experience stress from the separation from their original owner(s).  This period of transition lasts 3-6 months.  Some show this by becoming hyperactive, others lethargic.  Depending on the age and temperament of the dog, loss of personal attention (shelters and rescues are often overcrowded, with minimal time left for one-on-one interactions since the focus is to first provide for basic needs such as food and medical care) can permanently affect their personalities, and their future behavior patterns.


     When the lucky dogs go to foster homes, or their new families, they go through the transition process all over again.  Loss of confidence and lack of consistency in performance are very common as a dog is being introduced to a new household.  Dogs that appear "Meek" and "Mellow" are not actually low-key, but stressed while experiencing the transition.  The opposite can also happen- some dogs become overly alert or aggressive.  As they become more accustomed to the new surrounds, different behavior patterns will be displayed.  


A purebred Rottweiler at Gaston County A.C.


     I have two adopted dogs of my own, and cannot afford any more pets in my household at this time.  I have been unemployed since the end of February, and am struggling to make ends meet, but I will NOT consider leaving either of my dogs behind.  I see the stress it would put them through, and the high likelihood that it would be a death sentence for them both.  








     Unfortunately, I cannot personally do anything to help people re-home their dogs other than wish them good luck.  I pass along rescue groups' information, in the hopes that they have the manpower, funding and space to better assist those in need.  Thank goodness there are many in this area that do everything they can to help.  Please urge your friends and family to carefully consider all options before adopting or purchasing an animal, to prevent having to attempt to re-home an animal.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Lindsay! Here's a follow up on some of the dogs:
    Harley, the girl in the second picture, was pulled into rescue! I'm waiting for her foster to contact me for some basic training assistance.
    The young boxer boy was also pulled for rescue and is CALM and QUIET! As long as he can run for a couple of hours a day he's a very relaxed dog.
    The older boxer was also pulled for rescue and is receiving medical care.

    The puppy in the first picture above is still at animal control on a bite hold. He did not bite, he jumped on someone's leg and scratched her. You have to be some kind of evil to call AC on a puppy.

    The Rotti in the bottom picture is safe in rescue. She's heartworm and parasite negative but received a heartbreaking diagnosis of osteosarcoma in her right front leg. The vet feels that at this point it's likely spread to her lungs. We'll give her a soft bed and good home for her few remaining months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the update Jessica!

    ReplyDelete