Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Dog Day on the Farm



     I am always looking for something new and fun to reward my pups for their hard work.  We love to learn about all types of training.  Grace has been adjusting to her new workload seamlessly so I decided a reward was in order!  For this trip, I chose to take her to a farm that specialized in herding.

Grace says "Go THIS way sheepies!"


     My Service Dog Grace has a wide background of work experience and exposure.  She has a firm foundation in basic obedience on and off lead, we took a test to be therapy certified, we have competed in competition obedience, dabbled in field and tracking work.  I felt herding would definitely be a new and fun experience, even if she did not end up having much of a natural ability for it; and knew we had a strong enough understanding as a working team that I would be able to re-direct her if the safety of the animals was ever questionable.  I had no idea what to expect.


The owner/operator of Finley Vue Farm Kelly Martin
      Findley Vue Farm in Burlington has Katahdin Sheep, Call Ducks, and Indian Runner Ducks.  There are three arenas and a round pen fenced off on the beautiful property.  The weather was perfect- mid 80s and breezy with enough sun to wear my sporty sunglasses, but not enough to feel like we were baking.  It kind of felt like I was glimpsing a secret garden as I pulled slowly into the drive.  The owner/operator Kelly Martin came to greet me as my car slowed to a stop.


    Grace and I were led to the smallest of the sections and allowed to go in with three sheep.  Instead of a traditional shepherds crook (I had Little Bo Peep in my head the entire time and it made me giggly!) I was handed a long (it was at least 5 feet) slender and lightweight pole.   Kelly already had a "feel" for how Grace and I were bonded, so suggested that it would be less stressful for me to go in with her, instead of asking her to work for someone else.


     Boy oh boy, am I awkward!  The first and most important thing was for me to BE QUIET! All that obedience residue was stuck like glue to me- I wanted to know "Should I give her the send out signal?"  "Do I encourage her verbally?" "Should I shout if she is getting too close too fast- what if she runs over a sheepie?"  Kelly has the patience of a saint.  He successfully quieted me, explained that I had to keep moving, outlined a projected movement pattern for the sheep, me, and my dog, all while calling out directional cues to me while I was in constant motion. WHEW!


I am leader of the sheep!
     Kelly was a smooth operator while I was tripping over his wonderfully tolerant sheep.  Apparently the sheep have been exposed to people like myself who are not really sure what to do around them!  Grace had a few bright ideas however!  She discovered that if she trotted along by them they would move away, and she could even make just one move around the pen!  We were both exhilarated and exhausted in a matter of minutes.  Kelly saw when our energy level dropped and suggested a break so Grace and I had time to rest, gather our thoughts and observe some of the other dogs who had come out for the event.

     There were a variety of herding breeds present, and varying skill levels as well.  We enjoyed watching a young Border Collie pup experiencing sheep herding for the first time, and also saw dog and handler teams working with sheep and ducks in other areas.  Water was distributed to dogs and bipedal folks in need as we relaxed and exchanged pleasantries.

     Grace and I were invited into the round pen with 3 sheep multiple times, with breaks in between sessions.  Each time felt a bit smoother and more purposeful as Kelly guided me kindly to shape my movements (mostly I was getting in the sheep or Grace's way).  After the sessions, he even took the time to walk around the farm to show us other areas where they hold competitive trials, and extra pastures where there is more livestock.  

     We cannot wait for our next visit to Findley Vue Farm!

*Photo by Diane Lewis:  The first Non-Border Collie AKC Herding Champion in NC, a Sheltie named "Chase" (who was Kelly's FIRST Herding Champion Dog! Hooray Kelly!!!)

* A few helpful links: 

If you would like to learn more about herding and schedule your own fun day, please click the link below and contact Kelly via his Facebook page!



No comments:

Post a Comment