Saturday, April 6, 2013

I just met you, and this is crazy.....


     I had a person ask me this morning "Do you have a blog on dog etiquette? Specifically when people go to a house with dogs and when people have children and the dog goes to it's [place]."

Roxy the Malamute
     There are so many elements that can be addressed with this issue!  I will try to focus on what a careful owner can do to keep their dog secure.

     I used to think not touching strange dogs was a "No-brainer" until I reached adulthood and began taking my dogs with me to places.  People I have never met have walked or run directly up and tried to pet or hug my dog.  I have learned to create safe areas in my home where my dogs can go to relax and guests are not allowed to invade.  In public I have learned to be willing to stand up for myself, and teach people how to respect dog's space.  Unfortunately, some lessons I have learned have been through trial and error.  By sharing, hopefully you all can benefit from my experiences in the past.

       To start: It is my responsibility as a caring pet owner to preserve my animals' trust in me.  To allow an animal to be put in a situation that could cause a growl, snap or bite can have devastating consequences emotionally and legally.  As a sentient being I expect to not be fondled by complete strangers.  I insist on the same respect for my dogs.

     At my home, I control the environment.  If my dogs are asleep, do not bother them.  Just because me and my husband can, does not mean I expect them to tolerate it from strangers.  If I see signs of stress in my dogs I allow them to go to their designated safe areas.   Not all dogs want to be overly affectionate with strangers.  Both of my dogs have been Therapy tested (and passed).  This does not mean I expect them to make out with total strangers all the time.  Even Therapy Dogs need time to relax!  It is my job to oversee any interactions to be sure my pups are behaving, not crowding, barking or jumping on my guests.  It is also my duty to be sure my guests are being polite and not teasing or hurting my dogs (I have found small children have quite a "pinch" when they grasp things).

     One of the safe areas for my pups is in a spare bedroom where I will close the door to make my intentions clear.  There is no reason for a guest to be wandering into our bedrooms unaccompanied, thus it ensures my dogs do not become stressed when people come over, since they have seen it demonstrated repeatedly that they have a safe haven.  It can also avoid awkward conversations with folks who are not very dog savvy.  I have had guests over who do not even realize that there are multiple dogs in the household.

Luca the American Eskimo Dog
     When in public, a person should ALWAYS ask to pet.  No exceptions.  My dogs have a strong foundation in basic obedience before they are allowed in public, so when I stop moving, they stop with me.  For the people who run up to my dogs, I will literally move in front and block the person (if needed, I put my hand up extended in the classic "STOP" open palm).  If they do not recall their manners, I will prompt them with a friendly "Did you want to ask to pet my dogs?"  If they appear young, I insist they retrieve their parents first.  If they are inattentive or rude I will not allow them to touch my dogs.

     So often as dog handlers we forget we have the freedom to walk away.  I worked with a gal years ago who allowed a polite young child to pet her dog.  The child began playing with her male dog's er..... nether part.  The parent was nowhere to be seen.  Thank goodness her dog is so tolerant (the gal is an excellent handler), but situations like this can mostly be prevented, and if not, managed.  Don't feel obligated to allow someone to do something to your dog that makes you feel uncomfortable (I am referring to an acquaintance or stranger here, not your Veterinarian).  If you are uncomfortable saying "No" or "Stop" blatantly, you can always just leave hurriedly explaining that you forgot you had an appointment (I have used that one myself).

     Lastly, try to be patient with people.  Each interaction is an opportunity to educate.  My own family did not understand at first why I sometimes seemed to "hide my dogs from them".  Before I met my former mentor, I did not really have a concept of a "Working Dog" other than a dog who serves in the Military or guides the blind.  Pass some knowledge on if you can, and you could make the world a safer place for dogs.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment