Monday, October 8, 2012

Protection Dog?



     A young woman was telling me a story about how wonderful her dog is to her.  She proudly stated that "[the dog] is so protective of me, he almost wouldn't let my husband in the house the other night!"  She went on to explain that her husband had gone out earlier that evening with some friends and the friends dropped him off later that night in a different vehicle.  Her dog started "...going crazy!" she explained.  "He was barking loud and running around the house.  I tried to tell him 'It's okay, Daddy's home!' but when I went to the door, he darted out and then looped around and jumped up on me to push me back into the house!"


     In working with dogs for years, I often come across people who are absurdly proud of a dog they view as "protective" who is actually displaying overt tendencies of possession, fear, or inverted dominance.  It makes me believe that there is an overall misconception of terms as they apply to canine behavior.  The reason this concerns me is that the behaviors encouraged and elicited as "protective" are often the cause for the dog to display tendencies that are unwanted or can even be dangerous to the owner or other people and animals present.

     Dogs who carry an actual title of "Protection Dog" have had years of training with experienced handlers.  In the right hands, these dogs are the least likely to "go crazy" and panic at the sight or sound of new stimuli.

     One way to distinguish if a dog is actually being "protective" is to determine if the owner was truly frightened or angry.  If so, then there was a huge chemical surge that the dog could detect, and would know was out of the ordinary.  Another point to examine is if the owner gave a command for the dog to vocalize and/or move forward towards the perceived threat.  If the dog was acting at the behest of the handler, the motions would not appear frenzied and panicked.  Obviously if the dog is physically causing any harm to the owner it is not a desirable behavior, and should not be labeled as "protective".

     I do agree that a dog can be a deterrent to a would-be burglar or robber, but there are other ways to achieve this without allowing the dog to reach a state of panic.  Teaching a dog to bark or growl on command can be useful for this.  Simply using basic obedience to send a dog several yards out (towards the threat) and sit/stay facing the stranger can be very intimidating also to a would-be aggressor.

     For more information about YOUR dog's behavior, please feel free to contact me!  pawsthenplay@gmail.com

www.PawsThenPlay.com

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to say the blog was really informative and I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    Trained home protection dogs

    ReplyDelete