Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Blackberry Adventures

     One thing I enjoy is picking blackberries. In the family pastures, there are bushes that grow wild with ripe berries bigger than my thumb. Some of the branches almost touch the ground because of the weight of the fruit they hold.

A cousin owns this gorgeous (and friendly) Palomino!
     I like to stroll leisurely with my bucket casually strung on my arm, only selecting the ripest, sweetest and juiciest berries for my cobblers.

     Today I had some extra attention. Three pairs of eyes watched with keen interest as I made my way through the gate. I ambled on towards my prickly prizes, but took note of the 12 legs following me.

     About the time I filled my bucket, I felt warm breath on the back of my neck. Huff. Snuffle. Big soft lips gently pulled at my ponytail.

     I welcomed the attention and laughed as I petted the three horses that had wandered up to say hello. It seemed everyone wanted a pat and some nice words.  Suddenly my bucket arm felt unbearably heavy. One velvety nose had disappeared into my container. Another was trying to fit in it at the same time.

     I shooed away the berry-thieves. They seemed to giggle as they trotted slowly away to the other side of the pasture.  At least I still had enough to berries left to make a cobbler!

The bushes in this field are so large I cannot reach the top branches!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Blackberry cobbler sounds delicious. And horses stealing your blackberries made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! It reminds me of when we lived together and would go flower picking in the pasture on Tuckaseegee.

    ReplyDelete